Translate

Thursday 26 December 2013

Think Thursday

Welcome to Think Thursday.

I think, therefore I am.

René Descartes


Will existence ever cease?

What happens when our physical body dies?

Is there an afterlife?

I guess it is this time of year that I think these thoughts. Here it is winter and dark for the majority of the day, I spend more time at home because I'd rather be tucked up in bed hibernating for spring and summer. It is almost the end of the year, 13 is a lucky number for some (I know it's actually 2013, although it really isn't because it is more like 4.54 billion years, but whatever) and I start to feel like the years are just going by so fast now.

This year has been a lucky one for me because I decided in January to stop eating meat. I am ashamed to say but my last meat meal (that I foolishly relished) was at Burger King. It was a burger and fries, coke and lots of ketchup and mayonnaise. 

In late February I kicked dairy out (although I ate a vegetarian meal at a wedding in May and a Dominos pizza the following day...) and I stopped drinking alcohol (last drink was champagne at the wedding!) Other than these occasions I have consumed a plant based diet. Mainly high raw, high carb and low fat.

I adopted a vegan lifestyle when I decided I would no longer wear anything made from animal products, nor would I use beauty products containing or having been tested on animals. 

I feel so much better mentally, physically and no doubt spiritually (in 2014 I will learn more about this). It is the spiritual side that intrigues me the most and makes me think about the afterlife. I have spoken to two people who have described such similar places when they died on the operating table...they did not know each other and yet they had very similar stories. There must be something in that.

I am so intrigued to find out what happens when we die, but I am not ready to find out myself right now. I hope the time comes when I am in triple digits!

This time of year also makes me think a lot about the World in general. We have developed so much in terms of technology, architecture, transport, etc. but how much more advanced can we get without destroying everything that was here before us? For example, rain forests, rivers, animals, insects, bacteria, little things we cannot see. What are we killing just to satisfy our consumer needs? 

I have watched The Bucket List yesterday and again today and it is such a thought provoking film. Prepare your hankies as you will cry if you are anything like me!

So, Morgan Freeman's character asks Jack Nicholson's character the following questions based on the Ancient Egyptians belief about their death and when their souls got to the entrance of heaven. They were asked two questions, based on their answers they were either let in or denied. The questions were 

Have you found joy in your life?
Has your life brought joy to others?

I am going to think about these questions as my recurring thoughts for 2014. In fact, I will be adding them to my inspiration board to ponder everyday. Yes, we are here in one body and when we die we die alone, but we should use the body we have been given for giving joy to ourselves and to others. In any way we can. I want to provide more joy to other people. Remember, it is many small things that lead to one great thing. 

I hope you have enjoyed reading my post and that you too will consider those questions.

Much love

Jennifer x


No comments:

Post a Comment