Translate

Tuesday 25 March 2014

Try it Tuesday

Sleep

In 1910 adults got an average of nine hours sleep each night; in 1795 it had decreased to seven and a half; and in 2000 it has decreased further, to seven hours. Making a Good Brain Great, D. G. Amen, M.D

Since discovering the raw food lifestyle, I have put a lot of emphasis on sleep. In the height of summer it is more normal to sleep less because we have more daylight hours, whereas in winter it is normal to have more sleep. 

The problem we have nowadays is most people do not make any seasonal changes.

I often get questioned about my long sleeping hours at home and they are often disrupted too because my family play the TV too loud or use raised voices. These are problems if you live with other people, so discussing your sleeping patterns with your house mates is a good idea. Also, I have been told to buy ear plugs, so I will give that a try.

Sleep is so important so I hope that you can try to get as much as you can. 

Try to go to bed earlier. Make sure you don't watch TV or be on the computer just before you want to sleep. It is important to wind down. I know this and I still manage to distract myself with my smart phone. Therefore, turn your phone off or place it somewhere far away from your reach when you get into bed!

Purposefully leave lights off in your house. This will allow your body to become tired naturally and you will have no problem going to sleep!

Read a boring book. This tried and tested method does work!

Have a partner? It is very important that you can agree on a specific bed time. There is nothing more disturbing than having your partner go to bed after you. They may turn on lights, make noises undressing, shake the bed when getting into it, be cold, which you may feel, etc. If you cannot agree then sleep separately! Seriously, there are many times in the past when I would have preferred to sleep in a different room. Sharing a bed is so important that you need to get it right!

I haven't scratched the surface, but I will leave it here.

Start small if needs be, get at least 15 minutes more per night. We often forget who is important in this life. It's not your boss, your mum, your dog, etc, it's YOU! Only you can live your life. 

Jennifer x

YouTube  

No comments:

Post a Comment