Translate

Thursday 20 March 2014

Think Thursday

Organic or conventional?

"Organic crops must be grown in safe soil, have no modifications, and must remain separate from conventional products. Farmers are not allowed to use synthetic pesticides, bioengineered genes (GMOs), petroleum-based fertilizers, and sewage sludge-based fertilizers." Source

I hear organic is the way forward, but it can cost a lot more than conventionally grown produce. So what do we do when we are on a strict or inflexible budget?

Below is a list of heavily sprayed fruits and vegetables that ideally we should be buying organic:
  • Apples
  • Cucumbers
  • Celery
  • Grapes
  • Nectarines
  • Peaches
  • Strawberries
  • Cherry Tomatoes
  • Sweet Bell Peppers
  • Kale
  • Spinach
I do not buy apples for this reason and also because I find other fruits more enjoyable. I do like apple juice though, very refreshing if chilled.

I never knew about cucumbers or celery being heavily sprayed though. I grew my own cucumber last year and the fruits I got from the plants were HUGE! If you have your own garden or have access to an allotment I seriously recommend growing your own veg. There are so many benefits including new skills, vitamin D (from being in the sun), great satisfaction and achievement. 

Below is a list of fruits and vegetables that are not so heavily sprayed that you can buy conventionally:
  • Avocado
  • Cantaloupe
  • Kiwi
  • Grapefruit
  • Mango (according to the source above but I heard differently in Australia)
  • Papaya
  • Pineapple
  • Cabbage
  • Mushrooms
  • Sweetcorn
  • Sweet potatoes
I buy conventional produce and I have often wondered whether I will see or feel a benefit to going organic. The problem I have is that I go to the wholesale market in Liverpool and they don't really sell organic as they don't have an audience for it (I suppose I could demand it!). I could start shopping else where, but then the cost is not only of fruit, but the transportation that I will have to take to find places to get my produce.

I only have a couple of months left in the UK anyway, but I will make it my mission to eat as much organic produce as I can when I travel.

What are your opinions on organic versus conventional?

Jennifer x

No comments:

Post a Comment