Translate

Saturday 21 February 2015

To break the fast or not to break the fast?

This question has been circulating in my head all day, mainly because I went to a few supermarkets to look for nuts and avocados to see how much they cost and (regarding nuts) how much fat vs carbs they contain.

I read this article about fasting for lent as whilst some people give up one food item, I am giving up food altogether for my fast. I'm not actually fasting for lent though, but it is for spiritual purposes.

I keep debating when I will break my fast. So it's only been 2 days, which is 1 day longer than my previous water fasts! I feel fine, I know I don't need to eat any food, my energy is level but it's the ego that won't silence. The ego causes many of my poor choices and I believe that I am facing the challenge of proving my strength in order to shake it off. (Yes the ego is part of me, but it's not my spirit and I am trying to channel into my spirit) 

I want to defeat the ego, put it in its place once and for all. I prayed to God and the answer is that I know in my heart what I need to do. My heart tells me to keep fasting. I just need to get over the thoughts I have about food and stop being attached to them. 

I honestly believe by what I've read recently and just an internal knowledge that we can live without food. So my actions now are to detach myself from the desires of Man and develop a stronger power within myself. 

I have definitely come from an eating disorder background, which is over eating. I have only calorie restricted for one or two periods in my life (mainly when money was tight and I was so focused on being thin), but this experience now is not coming from a desire to be skinny, it is coming from a want to be more connected to God, to my spirit and to the world around me. 

Recently I have demonstrated my greed and my inability to control myself, eating way too much durian plus eating till I'm beyond full and get pains (but eating through the pain). It's definitely unhealthy. I keep thinking about this one quote from the book I mentioned by Hilton Hotema

Electrons do not eat, atoms do not eat, molecules do not eat, cells do not eat, and the body does not eat.
Then why does man eat?
Page 18 Man's Higher Consciousness 

There is also mention of food actually causing us to die younger than we should. There are people recorded to live past 300 years old! I believe that we could live a long time, but with current living conditions, pollution and the like perhaps we cannot in this day and age unless we go to live in those places unaffected by man's destruction. 

Personally the best part of fasting is no defecation. It's wonderful not having to pass faeces. Sure I pee a lot because I'm drinking water, but passing stools is one of the major downsides to eating in general. 

So on that note I will leave you to ponder what I wrote! 

No comments:

Post a Comment