Translate

Friday 28 February 2014

Favourite Friday

Place

I've been to a lot of places over the years, abroad and in the UK, but the place that I would say is my favourite is Dalyan, Turkey. I have already posted pictures before, but I want to dedicate today's post to it.

Dalyan is a fairly small town on the south-west coast of Turkey, near Marmaris and Fethiye. It is most famous for the beach, İztuzu Beach, which provides a breeding ground for loggerhead sea turtles yearly.

İztuzu Beach
It is such a tranquil place due to having a river flowing past the town and being located near the beach and a large lake. Boat is the common type of transport for locals and each journey is breath taking.

Köyceğiz Lake
It is becoming a well known tourist area, which is good and bad. It means more jobs for locals, but more crowded in peak seasons. I have stayed in May, June, September and November. For me the best time was November as the season was over and it was just filled with local people. It was peaceful and quiet and I could experience the town for it's true self. 

Beautiful storm clouds in November
The local market is great for fresh fruits and vegetables. You can see orchards around the town where they grow citrus and pomegranates and most hotels have a banana tree or two! It's always great to see where your fruit is growing.

Banana tree!
My favourite thing about Dalyan are the Lycian rock tombs. Stunning, iconic and thought provoking this is why people come.

Lycian rock tombs
Until next time Dalyan, keep on being awesome!

Jennifer x

No comments:

Post a Comment