Translate

Tuesday 7 January 2014

Tasty Tuesday

Today on Tasty Tuesday I have had an idea for making raw "cottage pie". So this recipe requires a "mashed potatoes" topping with a "meaty" gravy base. I thought about this at work because someone was eating something that looked like cottage pie. It used to be one of my favourite meals as a meat eater, especially topped with melted cheese...so now I want to try and make a raw version because I like getting creative in the kitchen.

I already know what the mash will be made from. It will be cauliflower. Below are some receipes that I will consider using and modifying for my pie.


The Rawtarian recipe
I do not want to add any salt or oil to my mash and the only issue I have with Megan's recipe is the coconut meat, because I do not think I can get my hands on a coconut she describes. I want to experiment with using a nut milk/cream to make it more sloppy like my mash potatoes would be and this will hopefully make it creamy. I know there is a whole controversy about nuts being raw, but on my "fully raw" year I will eat some nuts (in milk form) and I am having nutritional yeast too.

For the "meaty" base layer I need to find a good raw gravy recipe so I can marinate some vegetables in it before topping with the mash. The vegetables I am thinking about using are probably going to be onion, mushrooms, a small amount of carrot, some other soft vegetables and I want to shred/grate something with a chewy texture that can be the "meat".

I have a feeling I will struggle with the gravy. Again I want to avoid oil. I want this meal to be low fat, plus with the nut milk the gravy will have to contain as little fat as possible.

This is going to be a work in progress, but please do wait for the outcome. I'm sure I will try it soon :)

Much love

Jennifer x

No comments:

Post a Comment