Translate

Wednesday 21 January 2015

Borneo Blog :: jungle durian and cinema

Yesterday it was suggested to me that if I want to really experience life here I should work for a day. I contemplated that and thought about the fruit and vegetable market. I wouldn't mind spending a day in the life of a fruit seller. Well right now I'm not looking at doing it anytime soon, but it was a great suggestion. 

What actually happened today was a day in the life of KK's entertainment. 

Firstly, I slept till 7am, longer than normal because I over did it by running and cycling yesterday. I woke up with a slight sore throat and feeling like I needed to rest, so I drank almost 1 litre of water in bed before getting up and had coconut water, flesh and then a 3.5kg watermelon for breakfast (this is my routine here). 

I did the usual upload of YouTube video, checking emails, Instagram, etc and I moved rooms in the hostel. (3rd time!) at 11:30 I went out to the market for lunch. I bought loads of bananas for 3 ringgit and then I ended up buying champedak for tomorrow and some packaged jungle durian! 

I didn't photograph the durian but it was so pale it was almost white. 

I sat along the harbour where the night market is and enjoyed the views of the islands and boats. That's when a local man (always a man) came over to interrogate me. It's always about being a single female. Thankfully he was working and got distracted by a group of people so I escaped after finishing my big bag of bananas (I gave him some too, I am friendly but I wish they'd leave me alone). 



So I was going to a new mall. It looks shiny and still being built, but I thought it must have a cinema. I walked around and it was just so empty. I don't see why they would open it up when the majority of the units are empty. Feeling like it was a waste of time I decided to go to the shops opposite. I found a place to get some t-shirt printing done and then I discovered the super mall, Central Plaza I think it's called. 

8 floors up and there's entertainment central. So this is how the locals unwind. Karaoke booths are everywhere, arcade games dominate the floor and a 20 lane bowling alley (I'm pretty sure it was 20) entices you in with special offers (for 15 ringgit I can play 3 games, that's under £1 for a game!). 

Hallelujah. A cinema! I have been wanting to watch a film in a cinema for months. I actually hadn't planned on watching a film today but it was as if the universe had planned it for me, so I ended up buying a ticket to watch Into the Woods. 

The cinema is 5 ringgit on Wednesdays and it's ladies day on Monday so that's 5 ringgit too. I sat in a swanky theatre for less than £1 and saw an amazing film! Oh and I also took my fruit in with me, so I ate the durian and stunk out the room with the champedak hahaha. The film is a must see. It's a wonderful musical and Meryl Streep is phenomenal, such a beautiful witch and her costume was to die for. If I were a witch I'd want to look like her with blue hair! Oh and Johnny Depp was a sexy fox.

So after the cinema I wanted to go home. I looked outside and it was raining like there was a flood from the sky... It's still raining and it's been over 2 hours! I think it started when I got into the film around 2:30pm and the clouds are still covering the sky now. Needless to say I got soaked, but I loved it. There's nothing better than tropical rain. It's times like this that make me feel most alive and most human. 

I prepared my salad when I got home and now I'm sat in bed writing this. All that's left to do is floss, brush teeth, compile my YouTube video for tomorrow and sleep! So on that note I'm ending this post here. 

Thanks for reading and I wish you all a good morning/afternoon/night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment