Translate

Monday 30 September 2013

Make it Monday

Welcome to the second Make it Monday!

I said I would share my raw lasagne recipe today, but it's not just a Make it sort of post, it's a Tasty one so stay tuned for the recipe tomorrow.

Today I want to rave about home made nut milk. In particular hazelnut milk. I made it after I got home from work and I have to say I cannot believe how easy it was to make and just how tasty it was to drink!

It is so easy all I used to make it were hazelnuts and water!

Some websites I have browsed for recipes suggested dates to sweeten it up, but I don't think it needs it, especially if you use it in a smoothie like I did.

5 bananas and 300ml nut milk (had a drink before I thought to take the picture!!)

So here's what you will need to make your own nut milk
  • A bowl
  • A colander
  • A blender
  • A nut milk bag 
  • A jug/funnel
  • A sealed jar
  • Nuts - I used all of the hazelnuts I had so I didn't measure them. I just used the logic that for however many cups of nuts use double the amount of water :)
  • Water
  • Patience
  • A little frustration/anger for squeezing
Here's what you need to do
  • Place your nuts into a bowl and soak overnight. This is where you need your patience. I waited almost 24 hours before I made the milk. 
  • Drain the water - use a colander/sieve/whatever method you use (some people use pan lids positioned in a way that lets the water drain but the food stay in!!)
  • I rinsed them a few times, optional I guess but I suggest it.
  • Put the nuts into your blender, add double the amount of water.
  • Blend, blend and blend some more until it looks milky and you are happy with the consistency. I didn't need to add any additional water in.
  • Place the nut milk bag into the bowl and then add the contents of the blender into a bag.
  • Allow to drain and then prepare for some squeezing!! This is where you can relieve some stress!!
  • Place your milk into the jug and put into your jar or funnel it straight into your jar.
  • Put the pulp into a sealed container for another recipe.
  • Wash up!

How easy was that?!?! 

It should last a few days in the fridge, but when you blend it with ripe bananas for a smoothie it won't last that long!

Here's the website I was inspired by.
Here's a great recipe for nut pulp hummus that I intend to make
Here's a website to make raw tahini to go into the hummus

If you make your own milk please tell me what your favourite nut is, if you've ever used your nut pulp please share what you do with that too.

I hope you have enjoyed learning how to make nut milk and I encourage you to check back tomorrow for my very unmeasured but very tasty raw vegan lasagne!!

Much love

Jennifer x

1 comment:

  1. Doesn't sound too difficult to make maybe a bit of trial and error should be a nice drink.

    ReplyDelete