Translate

Wednesday 13 May 2015

Yin Yoga

One of my goals for a while now has been to practice yoga. I remember I hated my first ever class, I just didn't get it and I was put off by it but when I tried it again with a different teacher it just clicked. 

I never really went to a class consistently for a few years after that but when I moved to Redditch I attended a Yoga Fitness class, which was intense but so enjoyable. Since then I haven't practiced yoga consistently despite trying my best to motivate myself at home. However, I now believe I have found the practice most suitable to me. 

I discovered Yin Yoga in Bali, thanks to Beverley who gave me her class allowance once she left. I can remember the session as if it were yesterday and I can tell you how much I hated it. I can still hear the teacher talk about her own experience in her first class to which she too hated. I laugh about it now. 

Why do most people hate it on their first try? Well Yin Yoga is about holding a pose for 5 or more minutes. It can be pretty intense, especially if you're not particularly flexible. In my first session I wanted to cry, scream, shout and walk out. Mentally I wasn't prepared, physically I wasn't able! But now I actually love it! I feel amazing and I've been doing it everyday for almost 1 week. 

I finally feel like this is the way I'll increase my flexibility, bring awareness to my life and connect to my body. I am a very impatient person, but I really think practicing Yin Yoga will help with this too. I'm also lazy and like to lay around, so this is perfect because often the poses require me to lay down for 5 minutes at a time! The added benefit is that I'll improve my flexibility as a result. Bonus! 

I'm normally rushing around thinking I need to do things fast so it's finally nice to find the balance and practice Yin Yoga to go slow, relax and take the time to improve an area of my body. 

This morning I found a lesson on YouTube and I want to share it with you. 

Enjoy and let me know if you do it, or if you've ever taken a Yin Yoga class before. 


No comments:

Post a Comment