Translate

Thursday 18 December 2014

Travelling Thursday - Bali 1st week

If you don't know then today is my 4th day in Bali. I left Manchester at 8pm on Saturday and arrived in Bali at 8am Monday (12am GMT). It was a long journey with 2 stops. The first at Abu Dhabi, probably my favourite airport so far because of the interior design and the fact that I can buy lots of different types of dates that have been washed and deseeded! The second stop was in Jakarta. This airport is probably my least favourite! However, the flight from Jakarta to Bali was one of the best flights I've ever had because of the beautiful scenery. 

So far I've had 2 nights in Kuta and 1 night in Ubud. I liked Kuta because it has a long beach, a gorgeous raw food restaurant and it is flat! Ubud has many raw restaurants (but so far my first meal here wasn't the best) but it has so many hills... 

I cycled for 2 hours yesterday from Kuta to Ubud and it was definitely a challenge towards the end. About 30 minutes in I needed a wee, but I kept going. I think that could be part of the reason why I had a bad stomach all night. That and the raw food dips that I had the night before and then having slightly overripe jackfruit between papaya for breakfast and lunch. 

There's so much to photograph but when I'm on my bike it is so much harder to stop start, especially as road users here are crazy! So I'm just posting what I can photograph and the rest will just be in my head. 

Bali has some fantastic architecture and art. It seems like Ubud is home to a lot of artists. On the street I'm staying on it appears that every other shop is selling paintings, sculptures or other arty items. It's brilliant for me as I love being around creative people. 

I have had durian every day since I arrived, which has been awesome. So far I've only had good durian. It's great that the quality seems to be consistent and I've purchased them from 3 different places. I would like to go to a durian orchard but I've been told they grow in the North, which is great but I don't fancy cycling there... It's 32km from Kuta to Ubud, which took me 2 hours so I don't want to imagine how long it would take me to cycle to the top of the island. It's about double or triple the distance on the map, but cycling on the road might be even longer due to twists and turns. 

I am pleased to announce that I didn't suffer from jetlag and I'll be posting a video tomorrow about how I avoid it. 

Tomorrow I will go to the market around 6.30am to see if I can get cheap fruit and durian! Check out my Instagram page for all of my photos (it's hard to upload them onto the blog from my tablet). 

Thanks for reading and stay tuned for my second week in Bali. 

Jennifer x

No comments:

Post a Comment