Translate

Tuesday 21 October 2014

Tasty Tuesday - Coconut milk

I have previously posted how to make nut milk here and today I just want to tell you that so far the best milk I have made is with a mature coconut.

This is by far the best non-human milk I have ever tasted and that includes cows milk! I recommend trying it for yourself.

My advice is to perhaps find a better way of opening the coconut, I am not too sure if smashing it with a hammer inside a plastic bag is the best way, or safest. It is the way I was taught and probably the most therapeutic, so I'll stick with it!

The main things to be careful of when preparing this milk is to ensure all of the hard shell has been removed from the coconut meat, even tiny pieces, as this can break your blender. When you have filled your blender with the meat, put the water in so it is just above the meat. This will make it a creamy milk. When I first made it I put in almost double the water so it was very weak. It is your choice though so if you prefer to have a creamy higher fat milk use less water, etc.

I stored it in a mason jar in the fridge. It is normal for the liquid to separate, so give it a shake before you use it. Mine formed coconut lumps and I scooped some out to try. Wow...it was like eating coconut butter! Heavenly, but I kept thinking about the fat content. Once in a while won't hurt but every day may not be so good for remaining low fat!

Unfortunately it didn't last long so I don't have any photographs. All I can give you is my word that this is by far the best homemade milk I ever made and tasted! 

I put it in a smoothie with bananas and some vanilla bean. Perfecto!

Get yourself a nut milk bag and you can do so much.

Jennifer x

No comments:

Post a Comment