Translate

Thursday 22 May 2014

Juicing Update and Super Fruit Haul

Juicing update

Today is the last day of a 10 day juice cleanse. It started on Tuesday 13th with a colon cleanse and an integrated kidney cleanse followed by a 6 day apple and carrot juice fast/feast.

It has gone well and I adapted to it fairly quickly. I actually really like carrot juice and intend to carry on making it over the next couple of days as it has such a smooth texture and it tastes great. The apples give me a terrible ache if I drink too much and I haven't learned when to stop to avoid this! I will write a post specifically for this though, including all of the benefits that I have experienced.

Super Fruit Haul

I want to share what Steven and I bought at the fruit and veg market today.

We filled the car


Gorgeous heirloom (or heritage) tomatoes
I wanted to have a picture with it all!
We went shopping on Monday for bananas, so I have included them in today's list. Here is what we bought and how much it cost.

Fruit 
5 Bananas - repackaged - approx 18kg - £5/box = £25
4 Mangoes - one seller charged £4/box = £8
                  - the other seller charged £2.50/box = £5
Lemons - £7/35 fruit 

Salad/Veg
Cucumber - £3.50 - 12
2 Courgette - £1/5kg box = £2
2 Celery - £6/box = £12
Carrot - £2.50/12.5kg bag 
2 Romaine lettuce - £5/10 heads = £10
Tomatoes (we went a little crazy!)
     - 1 baby cherry (organic) - £3/6kg box
     - 1 baby plum - £3/5kg box
     - 2 standard - £3/6kg box = £6
     - 1 heirloom - £6.50/3kg box
     - 1 French tomatoes 6kg - free - we were told £1 as they are very ripe, but they didn't actually charge us for them!

Total fruit = £45
Total veg = 48.50
Grand Total = 93.50

This shop will last us 2 weeks and is for 2 people. We don't normally buy that many tomatoes (Steven gets about 10kg and I get 5kg), but this juice cleanse has really made us want them. When we saw the heirloom tomatoes we just had to treat ourselves as we have never had them before and you cannot turn down French tomatoes for £1 (well technically free!). I am salivating at the thought of having a sauce over courgette noodles.

The courgettes were only £1 because they wanted to get rid of them. You cannot argue with that price. I am going to be making so many courgette noodles this week! 

Luckily Steven has 3 fridges to keep the produce, so here is where we store them at his flat. (If you only have 1 fridge, I recommend you get another one asap! Use gumtree, freecycle, ask your friends or keep your eye out in case someone leaves their old fridge out for the iron man)

Fridge 1 in the hall
Fridge 2 in the kitchen
Main fridge in the kitchen, the bottom is a freezer
Cupboard in the hall to store the fruits and veg that can survive without a fridge!
All produce was bought from New Smithfield Market, Manchester. It is a lot better than Liverpool so if you're in the North West you must visit. 

I am looking forward to eating celery the most and then trying the heirloom tomatoes. 

If you have any questions please ask!

Jennifer x

No comments:

Post a Comment